I have a dear friend of mine who has struggled with infertility along with several us, but for a much more extended amount of time. Over the past ten years, she has had seven failed intrauterine inseminations, two failed in-vitro fertilizations, a miscarriage, three surgeries and various other alternative forms to natural childbirth. At the beginning of the year, they began their journey to adopt a child. They were approved in July of this year and were just matched a few weeks ago. The baby was due to be taken via cesarean section on November 24. However, due to complications, the baby will arrive tomorrow.
I spent some time this evening with my friend. She is so excited and so anxious at the same time. You see, there is a three day waiting period for the birth mother to change her mind on whether or not she wants to proceed with the adoption. I understand my friend's anxieties. I am sure I would feel the same way she is feeling, given the circumstances. However, I wanted her to see an outsider's viewpoint, someone who is not emotionally involved. You see, she does not want to take the baby home until the three days has passed. She is protecting herself from potential hurt. I first asked her if she wanted the baby to stay with the birth mother for those three days in the hospital . I then asked her if she would look back when she gets to take this baby as her own and regret not spending the first three days of his life with him. Then I asked her if she prayed about it. She responded that she had contemplated all the scenarios, but had not really sat down to pray about how the Lord may be specifically directing her in this difficult situation. I pointed out to her in life we try to hold on to control, to do things our own way, most of the time the easy way. I explained that the Lord may be trying to use her, to stretch her in this particular circumstance, that He may want her to let go of control and take a step of faith towards Him.
She asked me what I would do. I told her that I was unsure, but that more than likely, I would not have done anything different. I explained that we are very much alike and that both of our husbands compliment our personalities. She agreed. Her husband wants to bring their baby home to begin their new life, their new family.
I cannot say I would do anything different that she has done or will do. I do not think she has done anything wrong or that whatever decision she makes will be the right/wrong decision. I just hope that when life gets rough and I do everything in my power to protect myself from the hurts of the world, I will be as strong and as courageous as she is and has been for many years. She is a great and godly woman. She truly has a heart for Jesus.
More pictures
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment